It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:37 am

EVAC 06/11/2009: Yes, we're still here! 

Post EVAC 06/11/2009: Yes, we're still here!
Just realised that there hadn't been any talk about it.

This may be the last regular EVAC meet of the year - as far as I know we've yet to receive a reply from the Wine Centre with regard to bookings for future weeks. We'll try to get confirmation one way or another about future bookings, but for now we've got one more week's worth of video games and market food.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:07 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: EVAC 06/11/2009: Yes, we're still here!
Shotgun projector for Tekken 6!

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:05 am
Profile WWW

I have PS3 with many RB songs.

You know, if you like.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, but Rock Band gets more play than anything else and a lot of people are getting sick of it. Or at least a few people have mentioned being sick of it.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

Street Fighter 4 gets the most play, by a long, long way.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Yeah, but not on the projector, which is what I'm assuming Simon was meaning. Projector usage, off the top of my head.

Band games have had up to 5 nights.
Katamari has had two nights.
Naruto has had one night.
Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, BlazBlue and have shared one night.
Retro games have never had a night.

As long as there's TVs free and interest in Rock Band, there's no restriction of it being on, just as long as it doesn't drown out everything else with sound. Projector should get some priority for volume, since it's the main attraction for the night. Same goes for Street Fighter, volume should be audible, but not up to 11.

Amirite?

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

Street Fighter 4 Tournament FTW!

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:46 pm
Profile WWW

I didn't think Simon was talking abotu the projector, so then took waht you said to mean "no rock band at all kthnx".

So.. yeah, I agree, fightans on the projector.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. In the end, it's not that big a deal.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile WWW

yeah i dont remember sf4 getting much time on the projector.

i might be a little late this week.. maybe around 5ish.
can you guys maybe setup a table to the left of where the projector normally is.
i will set up my screen and ps3 there.. so we roughly have the 2 if not 3 sf4 stations together..

i hope the same pple come from last week if not more..
this will be our first try at double elim for sf4 at evac..
again for those that have used tio please be on notice we will prob need ur help.

also is it too late to ask for time extension to 9pm tomorrow?

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:54 pm

I think 2 TVs should be sufficient for SF4. Just get them next to each other to avoid back tracking around the room.

On another note, just putting down my two cents on people raging over fighters having the majority of play over the past week or two. They've only become the majority because no one else brings their own equipment with games that people want to play, also setting up club gear. This WILL change with New Super Mario Wii coming out next week, provided someone or the club picks it up and brings it in.

If a game is popular, it's because people come to play it. Which is good, more people coming, the more money the club gets in the long run and the more equipment we get for club use.

PROTIP: If you don't like what's being played, bring something you want to play. Complaining will only make you look like an ass.

Note: This is not in regards to Connell's posts. This is going on what I've heard from different people over the past two weeks.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:01 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't heard any raging at all. :/

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

I've had a few people mention unwelcoming comments directed at the fighter players. Whether it's rage or comments, it's still coming back to me and making people feel unwelcome. We're all there to have a good time, if you don't like a specific type of game or play style, just ignore it.

On that note, if anyone in the club has ever felt unwelcome or has an issue come up, please don't be afraid to pull myself or anyone on the committee aside to discuss your problem. We want to make sure everyone is happy and enjoying themselves.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 pm
Profile WWW

JubeiSaotome wrote:
I've had a few people mention unwelcoming comments directed at the fighter players.

To the players, or the games? Because I've certainly said a thing or two about tekken, but not anything about the people playing it. There's a huge difference there.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:06 pm

As I said, you haven't been a problem. It's more of the negetivity of some people towards fighters being played in general and higher level play.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:15 pm
Profile WWW

I know I've commented on EVAC being all-fighters, all the time, but I certainly don't mean it in a "Get out SF4-playing jerks!" way.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

I think you're being a little oversensitive Jubei. I haven't heard any negativity at all. Just because some people choose not to play against a group of people with a much higher skill level than them doesn't mean anyone has a problem with them. I like my fighting games as much as anyone else in the club, but I'd rather play against people of my own skill level. I play for fun. I have no desire to get better or learn how to play "pro". And speaking for myself I don't have a problem with people that do. At all. In fact, I encourage having a pro-circle of players because it will help the Adelaide scene.
Really, you're the only one trying to push this so-called 'regular club' vs 'fighter guys' rivalry that doesn't even exist. If people are bringing their own equipment specifically to play SF4 then that is great and the club has always encouraged it.

Nobody has anything against fighters or the new attendees that come in specifically for fighters. They are all friendly people and are a great addition to the club, imo.
I would very much appreciate it if you stopped making generalisations about the rest of us though. You jump to too many conclusions and are getting dangerously close to offending those of us (like me) who don't wish to be painted in such a bad light.

As for the track record on the projector. Well that is a load and a half of full cream dairy crap. There is no secret conspiracy on projector use. It is just the way it happened. If fair use on the projector is that important, then stick a poll in the weekly threads, removing any game that was played the week before.

There was that one week when there was nothing but fighting games being played on every single tv. And yeah, some people made comments. But they were just light hearted observations. Nobody was getting their panties in a bunch. And in case you hadn't noticed, just about everyone was playing games. There were no group of people sitting on their own without a game to play. Yet another point to raise when people claim the club has something against fighting games. The room was full of fighters and full of people playing fighters. Everyone was holding hands and living in harmony.

There is no problem. Now please, for the love of christ - drop it.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Need me to bring anything or help out for the ranbat?

i can bring some other folks along to get a nice feel for the evac guys :)

How many we expecting for the double-elim?

EDIT

If we're still going in the next few weeks i'd like to get some VF going :)

I got re-hooked on VF5R vids this week with the nationals just being had in Japan :mrgreen:

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:02 pm

With still no response from the Wine Centre, I'm going to call this our last week for the year. Not giving up, though, will harass them again to try and get bookings through to December.

Anyway do do people want to do something a bit different for some end of year fun? The tournament sounds like a good start, should I bring in bags of lollies or more doughnuts or something? Little party bags for you to all go home with? Balloons? Too bad they won't be helium ;)

Seriously though, maybe we should order in pizza some week again. Maybe not tomorrow, but yeah.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Capn wrote:
What Dave said.

I agree with a lot of this, but I'm just getting some discussion on the topic out there, so that people know where others are coming from. I'm not saying there's massive drama or anything, just that there's been a few passive misunderstandings with comments and how the usuals are towards change in the club.

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

As it is I see you encouraging a segregation more than resolving it. It is always you that brings up this topic, on the forums no less, which is not an environment it otherwise occurs in. If the issue occurs at meetings, bring it up at meetings, take an active role in resolving it at meetings.

I think your view that the "old folks" look down on the fighters is not true at all. I mean really, who does? (No not an invitation to give names publicly.) I hope you also realise that by having new people along, we naturally have to make concessions and are doing our best to make them feel welcome. The tone and rhythm of the meetings has changed - and while I hope that no one resents this I certainly understand that people are going to have to adapt. Change, even if it is necessary, isn't going to happen overnight.

I am most displeased that you go on and on about presenting a proper image and then immediately turn around and post meme images in the same motion. Do as you say, and commit to it fully, or say nothing at all. I am even more displeased that I'm posting in this manner on the public forum. I would hope that there is NO segregation at all - that we can call the club "EVAC", not the "veterans" and the "fighters". Let's work towards that.

Now, back to discussion of our "last" meeting of the year!

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:52 pm

is this about me calling everyone a scrub or noob :lol: :lol: :lol:

but really..... lets just play games regardless of type.

all i see is everyone playing or talking about game & haven't seen any negativity towards anyone........

maybe except towards that 'Playman' guy.......... bloody scrub blanka & electricity spam :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'll try to make it for the last EVAC & lets get some Pocari Sweat in

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)
If anyone incidentally did or said anything to start this little tizzle, chances are it was probably me after "that" night with the ranbats and every TV having a fighter on it. The "old folks" were playing Weaboos (again) on the projector, there were SFIV ranbats (discouraging any friendly play between the "scrub" fighter players), SF Alpha3 and SFIV on the club PS3 of which none of the players in the ranbats were interested in unlocking until I got sick of trying (if anyone is serious about unlocking everything then just ask to borrow the console for a week. I'm sure you'll be able to provided you return it by the next meeting).

I don't recall making any comments on the night but I did hear comments made that it was "EVAC fight club night" so I know I wasn't alone by getting sick of no other choice. I only picked up Naruto because I was sick of being bored and close to just leaving.

I don't have a problem with the pros playing their Street Fighter, but I do have a problem with all the complaints and trolling happening lately (such as the RB Expert Vocals one). But I think it's just a result of some underlying issues that, if resolved, we can make EVAC fresh, welcoming and keep some variety every week.

• No on site storage. This is the main thing holding us back from keeping everything on site and being able to instantly play anything different and spice the night up. This is something we should be actively be trying to fight the CA for.
  • No current structure or plan for meetings. There's just the continual thread posts asking who's bringing what to the next meeting. I think there should be more of a plan such as a mini-tournament/challenge at 5:30 and ranbats at 6:30.
  • We tired to do a tournament each week for two weeks at the start of the year. It fell through because of a) lack of planing and b) initial over extravagance. Planing a schedule of tournaments or challenges could be organized by committee/anyone willing to help with something unique and different every week (ie. Brawl tourney, Mario Challenge, Katamari High Score, Tetris high score/tourney, Soul Calibur tourney, Muscle March High Score, Tekken tourney, RB comp, Dr Mario, SF HD-Remix tourney etc.) Think of it as UG testing for AVCon's in the future.
  • I like a good rage game now and then. I also like watching others rage. I'm sure it would be good for the luls to "play" some of these failures if we all pooled our resources together (I know people have Dragons Lair, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 2006, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, Super Adventure Island etc.)
  • Projector plan. What we do regarding rotation to make it balanced?
  • What are the forum guidelines regarding trolling/whinging about stuff happening at the club?
  • Also, what the hell is going on with EVACuation? Is anyone still interested?

Does anyone else have anything to add to this How many of these should be sorted out by the committee? Or am I just raging?

tl;dr We need more variety and the club's getting boring. Stop talking about segregation just because people have different interests. Feel free to split this post off and discuss.

"It's like my dad says. All fingers are thumbs but not all thumbs are fingers. Wait... DAMIT!" - Ethan - 20/06/2014

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Shaun, thanks for chiming in.
First off, it's late, I'm pretty tired and to be frank after just arguably "smoothing over" one little tiff I'm a little scared of letting your post live, however important/relevant/necessary it is. It probably does warrant its own thread, though most of it will come down to a committee meeting I'm sure.

But really now,
xandox wrote:
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero

Ahahahahahahaah.

[edit] Also I know we're a gaming club, but I would like to say that when there aren't games on that people are interested in, there is enough of a social aspect to keep people interested, and I would like to work on that alongside the improved gaming experience. I don't really feel like I go to EVAC any more to game anyway - perhaps that's my problem, not being able to relate to you nerds. :)

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:10 am

You ask some good questions, Shaun, many of which are being discussed in some depth already. But in short, I think there is a need for younger members driving activities/events that they find enjoyable in order to give that vitality. So with a lot of those things, go hog wild and have a crack at organising some.

As for the 'no other choice' scenario, in those situations you have to speak up, then and there, and try to fix the problem if others also feel left out.

xandox wrote:
[*]What are the forum guidelines regarding trolling/whinging about stuff happening at the club?

Could you be more specific? If you wish, via PM or something.

From what you have there, I'd say if people have a specific complaint, bring it to a committee member. Or if they feel the club needs to change something, maek polite thought out poast. Trolling is a difficult issue, and something that needs discussion.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 am

Moreso I've seen the word "trolling" thrown around a lot where what is happening might instead be heated discussion. Innappropriate, perhaps, but not trolling.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:36 am

Also, Sean, you should play SF4 as well.
We need more noob players so that I don't feel so bad.
I'll fight you for bottom spot on the table, ok?

On does not need to be a good fighter to put up a good fight - P.K. Shaw

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 am
Profile WWW

Smacktalk is fine. I love smacktalk. People having a friendly jab at each other while playing a competitive game is natural, so long as you know the person you're having a go at. But that is all just common sense. Most people know the line and try not to cross it.

That fighter night, imo, just happened the way it happened. Nobody spoke up and said they wanted to play anything else so it was assumed that everyone was okay with the games currently being played. It was coincidence that they all happened to be fighting games. The majority was obviously in the mood for a punchup.

I heard people making observations that all we had going were fighters, but it was never followed up with "why don't we put on some Mario Kart?" or whatever. As Mark said, if you want to play something just suggest it. Sometimes people are happy to continue playing Soul Calibur or sometimes they are just playing it because they can't think of anything else to put on. Won't know until you ask. That is how most of the games get put on in the first place anyway.

I also disagree with the statement that the forum is seeing trolling. Especially as my rock band thread was singled out. My intention was not to troll. My intention was to bring up an issue that I thought needed discussion. Which I thought I did in a polite, respectful, and lighthearted manner. I don't see a problem with bringing up club issues on the club forums. In fact, I think it is better to do it here than in person. First of all it means there is a record of the issue and (hopefully) its resolution. Secondly it means that everyone can have their say without being interrupted or shot down. Thirdly it allows for people to think about what they are saying before they say it and also chew over what other people have said before replying.

In the end, I haven't really seen any hostility in the club over the last few months. Nobody is going out of their way to offend anyone else as far as I can tell. I think that that the people who are seeing problems need to take a step back and take a second look at the situation. There is a little bit of paranoia at play here which we all need to ignore. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt I reckon. We're all friendly, intelligent adults, right?

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 am

One thing that was mentioned last night between Ale, Mark & I was to have a Retro game/console set up at every EVAC, between everything. That way it's easily seen and anyone can play without having to wade through X Game crowds. We just need people to bring something each week.

Maybe we need to have a DO list, along side the rules list?

- DO ask to put on something new if a system isn't getting play.
- DO bring in a console/game you think people will enjoy playing.
So on and so forth.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:25 am
Profile WWW

NombreHombre wrote:
Also, Sean, you should play SF4 as well.
We need more noob players so that I don't feel so bad.
I'll fight you for bottom spot on the table, ok?

I'll throw myself in there for a while today then. Maybe I can finally learn how to quarter-circle! :P

And I must second everythign Dave said about smacktalk. It's an essential part of multiplayer gaming (and incidentally why I prefer local multiplay to online).

And also to echo the "just ask for a change" sentiment.

With the projector, I think we need to come up with a maximum playtime for a given game, say 2 hours. We've got plenty of TVs, and shifting really only takes up 5 minutes at most.

edit: IMPORTANT NEWS.
A gamer party is starting up to take on Atkinson at the next election. They need signiatures to register, and they're getting siogniatures TONIGHT at the malls balls between 5:30 and 6:30. It is in our own interest to do this, even if we won't necessarily vote for them, they're going to be getting the message out there.
Let's let Left for Dead 2 be one of the last games ruined by our idiotic ratings system.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:05 am

To be clear, there is a difference between smacktalk and outright poor sportsmanship. And I am fast losing patience with the latter, especially when it is coming from people who complain about it in others.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:45 am

oh come on Mark.
THAT BALL WAS ON THE LINE

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 pm

oh god yes, that ranks as one of my favourite videos on the internet ever.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:56 pm

I meant to coverpaul that but it's beyond my MS-paint skillz.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:03 pm
Profile WWW