It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:02 pm

EVAC 14/10/11 - Eelektross, Virizion And Carracosta 

Post EVAC 14/10/11 - Eelektross, Virizion And Carracosta
That's right, it's that long-awaited second Friday of the month, and that means it's time for the Adelaide Pokemon League at EVAC, hosted every second friday each month starting...this month! EVAC is from 4 P.M. to 8 P.M. in the Harry Medlin Room, on Level 4 of Union House, at Adelaide University, but the tournament won't begin until 5.30 P.M. to give you all a chance to warm up those button fingers.

The rules are below, and the observant amongst you will notice that they are the same as those used at AVCon and OzAsia. The tournament format will be determined on the day by the number of entrants

For those that aren't into pokemon, all the usual gaming goodness will also be happening, so there's no reason not to come along and get your weekly dose.

If you have any questions, info or games to share, drop us a line below, and we'll hope to see you there.

Pokemon Tournament Rules
Platform - DS (Contestants must bring their own DS)
Format - ???
Player Cap - 128 (haha)
Gametypes - Six-a-side Double Battle

Playing conditions:
Species clause: No two pokemon of the same species on a team. Pokemon in the same evolutionary tree, but at different stages are fine (e.g., Charmander and Charizard is legal, Vaporeon and Umbreon is fine, but two Salamence is illegal.)

Item clause: No duplicate items on your team - for example, you cannot have two pokemon holding Leftovers.

Selfdestruct Clause: If both players are knocked out in the last round of a battle due to Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song, the player who used Explosion, Selfdestruct, Destiny Bond, or Perish Song is considered to have lost. If both players are knocked out in the last round of a battle due to a pokemon using a recoil move and KOing the opponent's pokemon, the player who used the recoil move is considered to have won.

Evasion-boosting moves (e.g., acupressure, minimise, double team) are banned.

Evasion-boosting items (e.g., brightpowder, lax incense) are banned.

The abilities Moody and Drizzle are banned.

One-hit KO moves (Sheer Cold, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill) are banned.

The move Dark Void is banned.

The move Sky Drop is banned (Due to the Sky Drop glitch).

The move V-Create is banned.

Banned Pokemon:
Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Garchomp, Genesect, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Keldeo, Kyogre, Kyurem, Landorus, Latios, Latias, Lugia, Manaphy, Meloetta, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Zekrom

Battle Settings:
Battles will be six-a-side double battles, with no level limit. Matches will be level-scaled to level 50. The Wonder Launcher may not be used.

Other rules

•Battles will be run DS-to-DS.
•Battles will be run via the IR battle option in the C-Gear. The Wonder Launcher will be disabled.
•In the event of a connection error caused by one player's DS running out of power, that player will be considered to have lost.
•In the event of a connection error not caused by running out of power, the match will be considered to have no result. The players may battle each other again if they so choose. If both players mutually agree on who was likely to have won the battle, then they may report that result.
•Players may not battle a player they have already battled.
•Players may not change their team in any way between tournament battles - this includes swapping pokemon out, changing their held items, or teaching them moves using a TM or HM. Pokemon may be reordered inside the team.
•Excessive stall tactics will be frowned upon, and may be grounds for disqualification. The definition of 'excessive stall tactics' is up to the staff running the tournament. This rule is unlikely to affect you (I don't believe we've ever invoked it in a pokemon tournament yet, and double battle is particularly unfriendly to stall tactics), but is necessary - against an unskilled player, someone deliberately stalling could draw a battle out for hours, and we do not have the time for this. Playing defensively is fine - running your opponent out of PP is probably not.
•If you believe your opponent has broken these rules in a significant way, please report it to the tournament administrator, who will investigate the situation and make a decision. Please do not abort the battle unless you are asked to. Be aware that we will frown on frivolous complaints, including technicalities (For example, two pokemon carrying a Potion would not be grounds to contact a volunteer - while, yes, they are technically in breach of the item clause, it's not a breach that matters)
•If a player is disqualified they will be removed from the tournament, with the opposing player being awarded a victory.
•If a problem occurs which is not the fault of the player (hardware failure, disconnected controller, etc), the players will engage in a rematch.
•The Tournament administrator reserves the right to ban any player or group for whatever reason from the tournament before, during or after the tournament.
•For any other situation which arises which is not covered by these rules the tournmanet administator shall make a decision that shall be FINAL.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: EVAC 14/10/11 - Eelektross, Virizion And Carracosta
EVAC patrons are reminded not to park on university grounds unless they have a permit. Campus security are having a crack-down this week (but you didn't hear it from me). Legal parking is available for a fee in the streets surrounding the uni and across the river, and most of it is free after 6pm.
Also, the Advertiser may be dropping by the club at around 5pm THIS week to take photos of us rocking out, so if all you long-haired metal types could make it there by then that'd be rad. That means that if nothing else there'll be Rock Band this week, but if you want to bring something else that'd be great, too.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

Instead of rocking out, can I hesitantly and awkwardly play games while attempting to remain at least one metre from everybody else at all times?

EDIT: Or better yet, can I do that at my brother's valedictory dinner, instead of at EVAC?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

I would love to see you trying to awkwardly play games at your brother's valedictory dinner. Unfortunately I didn't get an invite, ungrateful little snot that he is, and after I talked to him once and everything!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:46 pm
Profile WWW

You read right, folks, we're going to be running this tournament without Jimmy there! Eep!

Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Is that good or bad?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:15 pm

It is a bit of a blow for the ladies, one suspects.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:11 am
Profile WWW

Life is hard for the ladies, sometimes.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:11 am

Quick suggestion.
Rename "banned pokemon" to "banned mans"
The reasons should be self evident.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

Banned Mans and Band-men this week?

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm

OOoh..sorry, yeah. This week.
That was bad.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

Get well soon Thom!

Look out in the advertiser for me being derpy with a plastic guitar. Also, 2/5 in pokemon ain't bad.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Is that two wins out of five matches? Cause that is kind of bad. Mathematically.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 pm

No, that's 2nd place out of 5 people. I won 3/4 of my matches.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Ohhhh. In that case HIGH FIVE!

(Only 5 people turned up?)

Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:07 pm

A heap of people turned up, but only 5 of them played pokemons.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeah, that's what I mean. Seemed like word of the polkamenz got spread around pretty far. Five people isn't many.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:10 pm